Monday, March 10, 2008

FHE - The 10 Commandments

Tonight we had our Family Home Evening lesson on the 10 commandments and it went all right. This is how it went, not all quotes are accurate, I didn't record them, but this is what I remember:

Ryan (my hubby): "Oh good let's have FHE here" (good idea seeing that the boys were sitting on my lap in my favorite leather chair - I wasn't about to move). "Dallin can you please get the Children's Songbooks for us?"

Dallin: "Why do I always have to get the hymn books? Every day I have to get them." (Well I guess to a 5 year old, Monday seems like everyday)

Megan: "Because you are so good at it!"

Dallin: "Why are you guys always telling me what to do?" (He said what? So I'm trying to see things from his perspective, but wow! Oh the lesson I picked was so gonna be good).

********A 2 minute discussion over how being part of a family is like a team and we need to help each other out ensued! Finally - with loud stomps and a pouty face, the Children's songbooks appeared. He only had to take all of 10 steps, round trip, to retrieve the books from the piano!!!************

So back to FHE:

Ryan: "Thank you Dallin. Mommy what's our lesson on tonight?"

Megan: "We are going to talk about the 10 commandments." (I passed the folder, with lesson and games in it to Ryan - as it was his turn to give the lesson. In my head I was saying oh good, Dallin will see that we aren't the only ones telling him what to do!!! We have some reinforcements on this!!!).

So after we sang our opening song and began the lesson, we were able to talk about what it would be like at school, on the roads, and at home if we didn't have rules. We explained that even Mommy and Daddy have rules that they must follow each day - the laws of our country, the rules of our house, and the rules/commandments our Father in Heaven gave us.

Ryan made the comment that Jesus gave us 2 more commandments which are: to love the Lord with all of our might, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor like unto ourselves. If we remember to keep these two commandments then we will also keep the others. (He always has a way of simplifying things - I love that about him).

We played a few games about the 10 Commandments that were given to Moses and then talked about other commandments we have been asked to keep. By the end of the lesson our happy boy was back and he was thrilled to help make our refreshments: Commandment Chip Cookies! It was a great night!


Commandment Chip Cookies



1cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 lrg box instant vanilla pudding or 2 small boxes
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 package of chocolate chips
This is important - mix all wet ingredients together first with an electric mixer (butter, eggs, and vanilla).
In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients together. Slowly add the flour mixture into the mixed wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly. (You may choose to add the chocolate chips now or you could add 10 chips to each dropped cookie to represent the 10 commandments).
Spoon out cookies on baking sheets and bake in a 375* oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack for another 10 minutes.
Then pour yourself a glass of milk (I wanted one even though I don't like milk) and enjoy these
yummy cookies!

5 comments:

Knight knughts said...

I love FHE when the kids out their thoughts and testimony into it.

Stefany said...

How sweet. Thank you for sharing.

Those cookies look REALLY good as well.

Bethanne said...

Oh, aren't kids so...wonderfully blunt?! I loved that! We just had school-time where we started talking about the ten commandments, laws, etc., too. We must be on the same page or something!

Jenni said...

Wow. Your FHEs make mine look like they were made on the set of Married With Children. You are so together! I hate that! LOL.

Danielle said...

HAHAHAHA i love that story about dallin - and how you responded too was good - thanks for the laugh

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails