Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bean Plants



I have the privilege of being the Science Docent for Dallin's kindergarten class. Every month or two I prepare a lesson on different science standards they have to know by the end of their kindergarten year! We have done experiments on the stages of matter (liquids, solids, gases - we made root beer floats to show the different stages), we've talked about the differences between birds and mammals, we learned new ways to describe things using our 5 senses, we've talked about magnets, and today we talked about....


...the parts of a plant. I was so impressed that many of the kids knew the different parts of a plant and what they did. At one point I had a 6 year old boy ask me a deep question. I told them that the roots and stem of a plant act like a straw to suck water and nutrients out of the ground to feed the plant.

This little boy asked - "Mrs. Kanzler, if we needed water to drink could we put a straw in a plant and suck out the water?" They never cease to amaze me. So we talked about what makes up the stem and told him that there is a special plant called a cactus that he could get water from, but he wouldn't be able to use a straw.

So after our discussion each of the kids got to plant a bean plant! If everything goes well they should start to see their plant growing in the next few weeks! Can't guarantee that we will have a harvest like the picture above but it was fun to watch the kids plant their seeds and listen to their questions! May the seeds grow into young bean plants!

5 comments:

Stefany said...

I love the new look AND the science experiment!

Kim said...

Hey Megan! The science experiment looks fun. Completely unrelated, though....how do you change your background "papers"? I cannot seem to figure it out, but SOOO want to!

Kim said...

You Rock! Thanks for your help! Hopefully I will have a new look within the next couple of days. :)

Bethanne said...

You're such a smarty pants! I wish you could add that element to our school time since science is really the one subject I know nothing about. C'mon, you'd like Frisco I know it.

Jenni said...

I am so new at this whole blogging thing. This is the only way I know how to respond to comments on my page. I need your e-mail. I am due May 3 and I am doing a VBAC. NO MORE C-SECTIONS FOR ME! One was too many.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails