Monday, September 29, 2008

Sweet Caroline


Friday night my mom and I went to the Neil Diamond concert at the Arco Arena. This was her mother's day gift from me and my little family. I have fond memories of Neil Diamond blarring from the radio and my mom singing along with a bandana in her hair as we cleaned the house. She has always liked Neil and I couldn't wait to go with her (I do enjoy his music, but can't say I'm one of his greatest fans). 
I was surprised to see the number of younger people there and in fact, just a few rows in front of us was a young teenage boy who was dancing and singing along to nearly every song! He was having a blast! 
It was a good concert, except at the end while we were trying to leave the arena and we got stuck in a human traffic jam, not good when you are only 5'2" and you are in the middle!
Intersting Facts:
Neil Leslie Diamond, (born January 24, 1941), is an American singer-songwriter and occasional actor.

As of 2001, he claimed worldwide record sales of 115 million copies, and as of 2002 he was ranked third, behind only Elton John and Barbra Streisand, on the list of the most successful adult contemporary artists in the history of the Billboard chart." As of May 2005 Diamond had sold 120 million records worldwide, including 48 million records in the U.S.

Though his record sales declined somewhat after the 1980s, Diamond continues to tour successfully, and maintains a very loyal following. Diamond's songs have been recorded by a vast array of performers from many different musical genres.

Diamond was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1984, and in 2000 received the Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award.
Interesting Facts:
* He has been married 2 times.

* He has two daughters
* In 1979 he had a tumor removed from his back and was wheelchair bound for 3 months.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Neil Diamond. Maybe n ot enough to go to a concert but enough to sing sweet caroline really loudly in the car :)

I tried to do the little color test thing and it wasn't working -- I will try later. It looks very interesting!!

Ali said...

I've seen Neil twice in concert, and was bummed to miss this one. He puts on an awesome concert. I have no shame in saying that I love Neil Diamond!

ktmay said...

you got to see the jazz singer??? awesome! i have some of neil's songs on my IPod.
he's great.
ever see the movie "saving silverman"..it's so funny, there are 3 friends who have a neil diamond cover band. but i don't know what rated it is. i saw it on TV, edited!

Amie said...

How fun for you and your mom!

FoxFamily said...

Megan you are welcome anytime at mi casa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails