Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Decorating on a Dime

For those who know me know that I love to decorate on a dime! My husband and I are thrifty decorators. My style is similar to what you would see at Pottery Barn, however I can't even imagine spending that much money on my furniture and accessories (especially with young children underfoot), so I often frequent local thrift stores, antique troves, yard sales, and craigslist

Check out my latest find:

Wood bookcase in need of some TLC! $10 at Deseret Industries


Enter a can of dark blue spraypaint - $2.94.

The refinished bookcase!
A side view of the boys "new" bookcase for $12.94 and some tax!

Here are some other items we have found for a real bargain: 

A lovely leather club chair found at a yard sale for $25!

This wood window frame was found on the side of the road with the glass still intact! I simply smashed out the glass, sanded and repainted the wood frame and then my husband had the idea of using it as a picture frame! So for the price of half a can of spray paint ($1.47) we now have a cute picture frame for our front room. (The vinyl on the wall can be found here)

This bed frame was found on Craigslist for $10! I love the way it looks with my IKEA duvet cover and throw blanket.

The blue trunk was from D.I. for $12 and the brown trunk was my husband's Great Grandma's steamer trunk.
This lovely upright grand piano was free - this is the only piece that wasn't worth the bargain. I had a piano tuner out to see about fixing a few broken hammers but when he examined it he found that there was a large crack along the base clef board which was unrepairable. He said it would be cheaper to buy a brand new piano than to get this one in working order.

Bummer - not all good deals are the real thing! However, more often than not, patience and determination will land you a good bargain.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How awsome are you! I need some book cases for the new playroom, maybe I will hit the DI!!

Trent and Amber said...

Nice! You have so many great finds! I'm envious! I need to do more thrift store shopping! ;)

Ashley said...

You are amazing! Maybe you should give a class. I think I saw a little contest on SacMoms.com for the most thrifty ideas. Maybe you should check it out. Maybe you could win something good. Way to go!

Ashley

Amie said...

Good job! It always feels great when you find a great deal. A little elbow grease never hurt anyone!

Kim said...

Sooo true! ;-) Take your time!

Tanja said...

I love your bed. I'm a red girl all the way!! Too bad about the piano...it's cute. But, in my experience, a free piano is always a dud.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails