Saturday, January 24, 2009

His Wishes

This past week has been a very difficult week! My step-father was brought to the hospital on Monday morning and was put on life support to help him fight two infections that were throughout his body. After meeting with doctors and family, my mom had to make the hard decision on Thursday, to remove the breathing tube and other forms of life support. I can only imagine how hard that must have been for my mom. We all knew Carl's wishes, there was no way he would want to spend the rest of his life on a breathing and feeding tube. So surrounded by his family, Carl took his last breaths in this mortal life and, in what I believe would be his words, "joined the party in the sky."

Carl had been in end stage renal failure (due to diabetes and a really bad fall) for the past 3 years and spent much time in and out of the hospital. There were several other factors that contributed to his passing, but I do have to say, he lived his life how he wanted! 

I am so grateful that I was able to be there this week for my family. I am sad that my mom's best friend has passed. I am so impressed with my mom's endurance for the last three years as she cared for him, pleaded with him to take care of himself, went to numerous doctor's appointments, helped him get to dialysis appointments, all while she was working full time. They had a unique relationship and I know that they loved each other very much.

Here is a link to the obituary that I was able to write for my mom.

There are a few things that I have taken from this experience: 1. it has further solidified my testimony that our spirit's are absolutely eternal in nature and that death is not the end; and 2. everyone, EVERYONE, should have an advanced health care directive completed and signed so that our loved ones won't have to make these tough choices in our behalf.

So I encourage you to speak with your loved ones about your desires in the event that you can't make them for yourself and fill out an advanced directive (each state may have different forms) and a DNR (Do Not Resesitate) directive! This way your wishes will be kept in the event that you can't speak or make them for yourself. Go here to find out more about Advanced Directives - they vary from state to state. You may order the CA Advanced Health Care Directive here and the DNR forms here.

8 comments:

The Talley's said...

I'm so sorry Megan about your Step-father. I feel we are lucky to know where and what our loved ones are doing after they pass. I'm Thinking of you....

Ashley said...

What a wonderful relationship it sounds like your mother and step-father had. I am sure you brought her much comfort being there to support during such a difficult time. Best of thoughts to you and your family during this time!

Ashley

The Browns said...

Their relationship sound so neat, almost like my grandparents. What a blessed life he had. Your mom is very fortunate to have you around, I know. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is very special to know that we will be able to see our loved one again and that we will always be a family. We love you and your family.

The Brown’s

Bethanne said...

I am so glad that you were able to be there this past week. I know that it was bittersweet, but more of a blessing. You are amazing...and hang in there!

Tanja said...

While this is a very sad time, I, too, I'm so happy you were able to be there with your family. As awful as these things are, I know from personal experience that there is no greater testimony of the gospel then to witness or partake is the death of a loved one. Your mom is a special person to endure caring for him in that way. Many prayers & well wishes to you and your family during this time.

Kelsey said...

Our prayers are with you at this time Megan. I know you are relying on your faith and I know that you will be lifted up with your knowledge. Let us know if you need anything.

Jaimee said...

Just want you to know my love and prayers are with you and your family! Its the part of life that stinks, I think, for the family that is left behind. Your knowledge of the gospel will hopefully come as a comfort to your family during this time.Love Ya!

Unknown said...

Just getting caught up on blogs from being out of town. I am so sorry to hear about you stepfather. Isn't it nice to have the knowledge that this life isn't the end!

Great advice and thanks for the links!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails