Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Is that ribbon in your gutter?

So I have seen vinyl rain gutter's used as book display shelves but I wanted to find a way to have easy access to my ribbon and to have an interesting way to display it. So why couldn't I banish my ribbon to the gutter?


Here's the finished look:

Supplies and the How-To:
*1 Vinyl Rain Gutter - 10ft (I got mine from Home Depot for about $5)
*1 Miter saw and miter box
*Gutter Braces/Hangers (also from Home Depot for about $1 each)
*Gutter End Caps (sold in pairs at Home Depot for about$6)

1. Measure the length you want your ribbon holder and then transfer that measurement to your rain gutter using a sharpie.  

2. Cut your rain gutter using the miter saw and box. You will need to use some muscle and be sure that the gutter is secure as it will slip.

3. Once the gutter is cut to size, slide the braces onto the lip of the gutter (see picture below).


4. After the braces are in place the end caps on each end - you can see part of the end cap in the above picture.

5. Place the braces at equal distances from the edge and then screw into the wall (you may need to use dry wall anchors if you are not screwing into a stud). Note: I placed my braces 10.5 inches from each end (the gutter is 52" long)

6. Send your pretty ribbons to the gutter! Please note that the larger spools of ribbon do not fit into the gutter but because I am a hoarder of ribbon (and fabric too) I still have a few (okay a lot) of ribbon still in drawers. 

* Because I still have over 5.5 feet of gutter left (and we purchased extra braces and end caps) I will be making some book shelves for my boys room! Maybe this will prevent the collection of books from appearing behind the bunkbeds - one could hope right?




Now get your mind out of the gutter and create something today,


Sharing the good stuff here:


Visit thecsiproject.com


</p><p>http://www.thethriftyhome.com

Show and Tell Green








Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden


Organize and Decorate Everything

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!




37 comments:

Leanne said...

What a great idea. I love the whole organized system. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday link party this week. I would love for you to come by and add this to the party. There's a giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

Unknown said...

very cool idea!! Very inexpensive too!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

What a neat idea and look how great and organized your ribbons are! This one goes on my list!

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Tues. Tag Along...Love your idea for the ribbon!! Great job!!
I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Megan,
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love this ribbon organizer. I've been looking for an old galvanized gutter in a salvage store, but can't find one. I love the white. I think you're a Home Depot girl like me!! A lot of my Tool Time Tuesday posts are from hardware stores.
Take care,
~Karen~

Lisa said...

What an interesting idea! I've never seen anything like this before. Also loving that thread holder...I need one of those BAD so my thread doesn't get all tangled.

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Great idea! Love how your craft space looks. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Pam said...

What a clever idea for ribbon storage! GREAT job!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Visiting via Tatertots. This is absolutely brilliant. You have great ideas. I will have to stay awhile.

PS - Gary Coleman you.will.be.missed.

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

Hey, Megan! Thank you so much for stopping by Crafts and Sutch and following along! I love what you have going on here! I'm a new follower. :)

You should totally enter this into the CSI Project challenge for next week! It is perfect! :)

www.csiproject.com

Erin :)

Jenni said...

Okay, so after seeing many of your extremely crafty posts, I have discovered that I am creative and artistic, but not AT ALL crafty! I think it is the impatience! Artists are always cursed with it.

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

I love it!! SO creative, really! I love seeing things used in completely unexpected ways! Fantastic job!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I have gutters like that up for books in my boys' room and my playroom, but never thought about using them for ribbon!

Megan said...

I love this idea! Nice to meet another Megan without an 'h'!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I have seen so many ribbon storage options but I like this one way more than the others!! Glad I found you on CSI!

Aly said...

Genius! Now I just need my own craft space to install this in.

Tammy said...

What a cute idea..Very neat and organized.

Angie Holden said...

GREAT idea!!

Julia said...

This is one of the best ideas I've ever seen. It's certainly the best I've ever seen for storing ribbon. I have tons of ribbon that I have to sort through everytime I need some for one of my grands' dresses. Thanks

Red Head said...

Genius! I love it!!! I've been looking for creative and inexpensive ways to organize my studio/craft room. What a great idea!

Unknown said...

Clever! Clever! Sticking this idea away into my little brain!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/sailboat-sandbox.html

Cassie Bustamante said...

hopped over from csi, and this may just be my favorite project! what a fantastic idea!!!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Another great use for a rain gutter of all things. Great job.

Letsmakeitours said...

Wow what a fabulous idea! I am constantly trying to untangle a massive pile of ribbon!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Extremely clever! You Rock!

Jenni R. said...

Whoo-hoo for a do-able and real solution to ribbon storage. Can't wait to tell my husband! Thanks!

L Simonson said...

Love this idea!

ellie g said...

Now this deserves an award. But, unfortunately, I don't have one. But I do have a SINCERE cyber high five. This is awesome, and genius. And when I copy you in the near future, I promise not to take credit. Bravo to you!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Absolute genius! why has this not been thought of before now? I love this and will feature it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com tomorrow. My readers will go crazy over this. Grab my "featured" button.

Melissa said...

Brilliant idea!!

Kelli W said...

That is so creative! I love it! I wish I had a craft room so that I could hang one up!

Cammie and Emily said...

Seriously?! Best idea ever! LOVE IT! coming on over from the CSI project! love your idea!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

What a fantastic idea! Love it :)

Jessica @ Me and My Bucket said...

I'm here from the CSI Project and I love this idea!! So creative and inexpensive, you are fabulous!!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

What a great idea!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

This project is awesome. Such a good idea!


Thanks so much for linking up to The CSI Project's hardware Store Challenge! We hope you will come back next week for the Martha Stewart-inspired challenge -- The MS Craft Department are our guest judges!!!

XOXO
Jen

Leanne said...

Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to everyone. Hubby and I have been celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails